MAKE A MOSQUITO TRAP
This is fun and super easy to do. Get the kids involved and make a family project out of it.
1 cup of very hot water
1/4 cup of brown sugar
1 gram of yeast (like Red Star or Fleischmenn's used for bread baking)
1 empty 2-liter plastic bottle
1. Cut the plastic bottle in half.
2. Mix and dissolve the brown sugar in the 1 cup of hot water. Let cool to room temperature. When cooled, pour the solution in the bottom half of the plastic bottle.
3. Add the yeast. No need to mix or stir, just sprinkle it on top of the liquid. The yeast will create carbon dioxide, which attracts mosquitoes *.
4. Place the funnel part (the bottle top), upside down, into the other half of the bottle, then push them together.
5. Wrap the bottle with something black (I use black poster paper), leaving the top uncovered, and place it outside in an area away from your normal gathering area. (Mosquitoes are attracted and drawn to the color black.) I put my mosquito traps in plant baskets and hang them at the far end of the patio and in the trees in the yard.
Tip: You will need to make a new batch of the solution every 2 weeks for continuous control.
Bonus...This trap will work for hornets and wasps too!
* Any type of carbon dioxide is attractive to a mosquito, even over a long distance, Larger people and cigarette smokers tend to give off more carbon dioxide. Pregnant women are also at increased risk, as they produce a greater-than-normal amount of exhaled carbon dioxide. Panting dogs also give off more carbon dioxite. Movement and heat always attract mosquitoes. Mosquitoes sense your movement and head toward you or your pet. When you or your dog pants from exertion, the smell of carbon dioxide from heavy breathing draws them closer. So does the lactic acid from your sweat glands. And then -- gotcha. A mosquito can smell his next meal up to 164 feet away!
HOMEOPATHIC REMEDY THAT REPELS MOSQUITO'S
Do you have bad reactions to mosquito bites? Try taking the homeopathic remedy, Staphysagria 30C orally once a week. It is reputed to prevent the bites of mosquito's in those who are extremely susceptible to them. It actually repels mosquito's, even in Africa and the Dominican Republic.
Staphysagria can be so effective in repelling mosquitoes and preventing bites that it is often taken on vacations to third world countries because of the concern about Malaria. There are no side effects and it can be taken by adults, or given to children or pets (such as unprotected dogs visiting in areas where heartworm is endemic).
Preparing the Remedy: Put two pillules (small balls) of Staphysagria 30C in a clean bottle containing 8 oz. of distilled or Reverse Osmosis purified water (AquaFina is a good brand) then add 1 teaspoon of unflavored brandy or vodka to preserve it. Put the cap back on the bottle and store it in the refrigerator. If you would rather not use alcohol as a preservative you can add 2 Tablespoons of 'food grade' glycerin instead.
Example of How to Dose: Succuss the prepared remedy bottle once before each dose and take or give one teaspoon weekly. Succuss means to strike the bottom of the bottle on a hard padded surface (like a phone book or a padded counter top). You will need to do this prior to each time you take or give the remedy. The dosage amount (1 teaspoon) is the same for adults, children or any size dog.
Giving the remedy to dogs: If your dog is not on conventional heartworm medication and is unprotected, this is not a preventative but may help temporarily to ward off biting mosquito's and the transmission of heartworm, if you are temporarily visiting an area that is having the problem. The dosing procedure is the same as for people. Give the remedy at least 20 minutes apart from a meal. However, if need be the dose can be mixed with a small amount of cream or unflavored yogurt, to help you more easily administer the homeopathic medicine to your dog.
Homeopathic Remedy for Mosquito Bites
In case you do get bit, and are uncomfortable take 2 pillules of Ledum 30c, when needed. It can give instant relief to most human sufferers from allergic reactions to mosquito bites. Put the dry pillules (small balls) in your mouth and let them dissolve in your saliva before you swallow.
Storage and Handling: Keep homeopathic remedies out of sunlight in a cool dark place. Do not store near perfumes, aromatic spices, computers, T.V. or microwave ovens. If you are an avid (more than 1 or 2 cups a day) coffee drinker this remedy may not work for you. Caffeine has the potential to antidote or negate the positive effects of homeopathic medicines. Do not touch the remedy pills with your fingers, instead tip them into the cap and transfer them from the cap. If you do accidentally touch the remedy or drop it, throw it away and start over.
When taking or giving a remedy it is best to take the dose into a clean mouth. This means 20 to 30 minutes apart from food, drinks (other than water) or brushing your teeth.
Where to find the remedies: Staphysagria 30c or Ledum 30c can be purchased online. The following link to Pure Formulas sells Boiron brand homeopathics at a very low price with free shipping. You may also be able to find the remedies at your local health food store.
For more natural healing tips for dogs visit, Pet Remedy Charts.